Do you have previous classroom experience? Are you interested in working in our child-led community? Scroll down to read more about our current openings.
Work and Play, a coworking space with an on-site Early Childhood Education program located in South Orange, NJ, is seeking an experienced professional to join our teaching team as an Assistant Infant Teacher (mom experience counts!).
Our play-based, Reggio Emilia-inspired, multi-age program provides children with an engaging environment that supports their continual growth by being responsive to their interests and developmental levels. Our infant room provides a warm and loving environment for up to 4 infants (younger than 18 months) with one Primary Teacher and one Assistant Teacher.
Our ideal candidate for the Assistant Teacher position will have a passion for working with young children, a nurturing demeanor, and a deep commitment to supporting young children and their families. Candidates should enjoy working collaboratively, be comfortable spending time outdoors and adhere to the belief that children are capable learners who deserve to be treated with respect and integrity. They should also be comfortable spending lots of time on the floor and getting messy both indoors and out. Lastly, our ideal candidate will be comfortable assisting in our mixed-age classroom with toddlers and pre-schoolers, when needed.
The position is expected to be 4-5 days per week, from 8:45am to 2:00 or 3:00pm, depending on enrollment. The position is a permanent, part-time position that runs through the summer as well as during the school year. Qualified candidates who can only work a few days per week should apply, as the job can be shared.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Collaborate with primary teacher to set up and guide warm and exciting “invitations to play” inspired by the Reggio Emilia Approach
– Provide caregiving such as diapering, feeding, comforting, and supporting children to sleep
– Supervise the classroom and communicate with other teachers and director
– Create a warm and welcoming environment for children and families, maintaining open communication with parents
– Taking the infants outside each day to explore their natural world.
– Ensure that the materials, indoor and outdoor classrooms, and bathrooms are safe and clean each day
– Participate in regularly scheduled meetings and ongoing training
– Past experience with infants as a teacher, caregiver, babysitter, or parent a must
– Strong communication, organization, and time management skills
– Patience, flexibility, and a love for working with young children
– Prior experience with a Reggio-based program a plus
– Candidates with a CPR and First Aid certification preferred (must be willing to obtain certification)
– Degree or credits relating to education or child development a plus
– Must meet all applicable state licensing requirements (regulated by the Department of Children and Families) including a background check and fingerprinting (process begins at the time of interview)
Please send cover letter (detailing your experience with children), availability, and resume to vibeke (at) workandplaynj.com. No phone calls please.